Sunday, July 17, 2011

X-Men: First Class Review (SPOILER)

That was my face 10 minutes in.
Oh my where do I start with this movie. Unfortunately, I am very behind on doing this review. I meant to do it at least a month ago to save people from watching it. Alas, times are hectic and I became busy. But I decided I will still do a review of this uh....wondrous movie.

Let me begin by saying that Kevin Bacon IS: evil! That should have been on the poster. He was so unnecessarily evil, and maybe because I am a Bacon fan and haven't seen him in a while, it came off as kind of cool in my opinion. Kudos to them for receiving any type of positive feedback from me, because it's all down hill from here

Let's see. Mystique has to be one of the pudgiest characters in the movie, I almost mistook her for the blob. Nothing against the girl playing her, I myself am a little round around the edges, but I think it would have done well if she was pudgy as a child and not as a teenager with body image issues.

That guy who reminded me of Ron Weasley, you know the one with the hair? That's all I'm going to even say about him.

I love that Charles Xavier was an adamant runner before his accident. It made him loosing his leg function--and if you see the scene where he says over and over again, "I can't feel my legs" it make me wanna laugh--kinda cheesy. I wonder if that counts has a positive comment because it made me laugh?

The whole Beast prequel doesn't match the rest of the movies. Beast was very blue and epic in the X-men: Last Stand movie. Grammer was a hell of a beast. I can't remember which previous movie he was in, but before he wasn't blue and furry, he was just an advocate for mutant rights. So for him to be fully mutated in the prequel...yeah let's just say WTF man.

Surprise surprise, the black guy dies first. Not only does he die first, but before biting the dust, Bacon, while making a particularly evil speech, makes a comment about slaves. This is when the director thought it would really push the point home if they zoomed in on the lone black guy, as if he personally knew what slavery was like. Again, this part made me laugh. Then he dies. in fact, he's the only good guy who dies.

My other other favorite part is the renaming of all the characters. "You know what, your name is XYZ, but your power makes me think your more of a Wammy! X-men name the viewer has come to love." It was campy and cheesy to come up with these "code names" so quickly and effortlessly.

Of course you have to throw in Hughes Jackman. If you don't how will he ever finish fulfilling his contractual duties? And whose that lady who plays Mystique in the first one? I always forget her name, but yeah, she makes a star appearance too.

In the end, if what you seek is a terribly written, poorly acted out prequel then by all means, if you haven't already, waste your money on this. Luckily for me, my ticket was paid for. THANK EVIL BACON FOR THAT! phew!

1 comment:

  1. The girl that plays Mystique, Jennifer Lawrence, was only chubby in the face! When they were all training and they cut to her lifting weights, her stomach was flat as hell. When she walked in as her blue form in front of Prof. X? She was beautifully toned.

    And I agree with the effortless nicknames. YOU DID forget to mention one person who was wack as fuck: Zoe Kravitz aka the butterfly chick. If she wasn't the most unnecessary person in the movie...

    Other than that and the dry ass acting of the one and only January Jones, I loved the movie. Much better than the X-Men trilogy they made before. Those, except for Last Stand, were terrible.

    ReplyDelete