Sunday, July 3, 2011

Bree Eats: Tales From the Street/Heaven on Broadway

  If I could bottle New York City and sell it to the rest of the country for a fantastic price, I would be rolling in dough. That’s right, its official: Brianne is finally blogging about NYC.  Regardless of this well awaited and anticipated dish on the city I now call home, I would like to start by saying well done NY... well done.

  When I say well done I don't mean my steak (oh God no!!), I mean in giving me something to write about. My best friend in the whole wide world! That’s right FOOOOODDD!!! If you think chick-fil-a is delish wait until you have buttermilk battered chicken from a number of diners and the ultimate of ultimate fast foods Falafels. That’s right, the food has taken hold of me when it comes to NYC. Is there anything better than walking down a street and realizing that you are hungry and there, no not the extremely overprices restaurant with white and green awnings, but over there, sitting on the corner is food heaven!! Boy oh boy do I love you street cart! That is not to say that the sit down places can't please you just as good on the same few dollars. If you are smart you will look around, and find gold all over the city. little pockets of tasty delight hidden behind parks or tucked away in nooks and crannies On Amsterdam and lower east Manhattan in its entirety.


Compliments of Google Images
  I don't know what I would do if Absolute Bagel vanished without warning. walking down the upper west side of Broadway, if you blink you might miss it; a tiny shop between a bustling marketplace and a copying store for Columbia University. Luckily for me, A wonderful acquaintance of mine offered to buy me a bagel since we were both going the same way. What a pleasure it was when she took me only a few blocks down just past 108th street. When you first enter you see them behind the counter making magic. rolling, boiling, and baking up little soft and delicious pieces of heaven. My first order ever was a plain bagel with jelly toasted. The magician taking my order looked at me strangely and asked If I was sure. You see in the morning, the bagels are really fresh. He sliced my bagel open and showed me, steam bellowing from the now in two cushions of softness, that the bagel was still pipping hot and in no real need of toasting. Well I took that as a sign to leave the awesome powers of a hot bagel be and bypassed the toasting. AMAZEMENT danced across my tongue with each bite! "I try not to come too often," my friend said sadly, "I could easily gain 15lbs and not care eating here every morning and afternoon"! Well put. I too could easily rack up the pounds without a care in the world! I had found a goldmine hidden in broad daylight. Of all the bagel shops I pass on a regular, none could claim they themselves baked fresh bagels daily. Days later, tried a buttered cinnamon raisin bagel from my new spot. A new favorite food was instantly born following my first bite. Someone shoot the cook, hes just too good at this (please don't...or I'll have so little to live for!!).
  So there you have it, a blog about a bagel shop off of Broadway near 108th. Absolute Bagel, check them out and fall in love with a bagel (and then cringe whenever you grab one that's not made fresh!). One of the many delicacies of the city and topping my list of good eats.

Chow baby.

No comments:

Post a Comment